A fire broke out at a central Reykjavík guesthouse last night, leading to one hospitalization, RÚV reports. Firefighters rescued 12 foreign tourists trapped on the balconies of the guesthouse. One guest was taken to emergency due to possible smoke inhalation after attempting to escape via the stairway.
The fire seems to have originated in the basement of the building, filling the shop and street level and the stairway above it with smoke.
Police in the capital area are currently investigating whether the guesthouse was licensed according to law.